Winter is practically here and this means it’s time to bring out all your kids winter sports gear!
What kid doesn’t like the snow? The possibilities of sports are endless:
- sledding: zipping down a hill is one of the first things kids do when snow is on the ground
- skiing: pizza/french fries, pizza/french fries….
- ice skating: what can be better than skating outside on an ice rink, or better yet, on a frozen lake!!!
- hockey: skating in the rink and working out those arms and legs to score for the team.
- snowboarding: gearing up from some fresh pow!
It’s is that time of year BUT before having the kids run out and play in the snow, make sure to have extra blankets on hand and make sure that each member of your household has:
- Warm coat
- Warm socks
- Water-resistant boots
Exposure to cold without adequate protection can result in frostbite. Parents can protect their children by following these precautions:
1. Dress children warmly. Several thin layers will help keep children dry as well as warm. Clothing should consist of:
- Thermal long johns
- One or two shirts
- Warm socks
- Gloves or mittens
2. Set reasonable time limits on outdoor play. Call children in periodically to warm up with drinks such as hot chocolate.
3. When possible, avoid taking infants outdoors when it is colder than 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Infants lose body heat quickly.
4. If you do suspect frostbite, contact a medical professional immediately for treatment.
The fun and magic can quickly be spoiled if not well prepared so bundle up and have a blast!